You can now easily jailbreak your iPhone 4S and iPad2 running iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 if you have a Mac. It’s very easy and so far I’ve had essentially zero problems with it. This is an ‘untethered’ version of the jailbreak – which is good. ”Thethered” jailbreaks mean you need to have your phone hooked to you computer when it boots.
Here is a drop dead easy How-To Jailbreak (Untethered) iOS 5.0 / 5.0.1 guide:
If you have an iPhone 4S or iPad2 running iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 and are running on a mac:
- hook your iPhone up to iTunes and create a backup
- Download the jailbreak toolkit – Absinthe.
- After the backup is complete, double click and run the Absinthe tool. Be patient and let it run (5-10 minutes)
- After the last reboot you need to run Absinthe on your iPhone…. and then you are done!
You can read more at Redmondpie.com
If this is your first time jailbreaking you might wonder what to do next… Install some apps!
My favorite apps to install are:
- BiteSMS - a much better text messaging app. It still uses iMessage in the background too. This app alone is enough reason to jailbreak if you ask me.
- AndroidLock XT - give your iPhone the Android unlock screen (draw with your finger instead of typing a code)
- Five Icon Dock - Gives you the ability to have 5 icons in the bottom row of your screen.
- Five-Column SpringBoard - Allows you to have a 5 x 5 grid of icons instead of the default 4 x 4 grid on the home screen. This allows you to see more apps per page.
- SBSettings - Gives you the ability to quickly access some settings – like Wifi on/off or airplane mode on/off. My favorite use of it is it gives you a quick way to ‘reboot’ instead of having to turn off, wait for it to finish, and then turn back on. Now you can reboot and put it back in your pocket.
- Everything jailbreak related is managed thru the app Cydia (that is installed as part of jailbreaking). The first time Cydia runs you need to give it a minute or so while it downloads its information
- You need to ‘log-in’ to Cydia so that it can remember you if you purchase some apps. I used the Google choice and it works well.
- If you have a Windows computer.. hopefully a couple more days.
- If you have an iPhone 4 (not 4S), iPod or iPad (1), follow this comprehensive guide.
Do you have other must-install apps?